No idea too small

Are You Involved in Food Catering? What You Should Know about the Proper Gas Engineer

Are You Involved in Food Catering? What You Should Know about the Proper Gas Engineer

If you are involved in the food catering industry, then you know full well that it’s a lot of work – but the results often make up for all the time and effort you put into it. You do, however, need to make sure that you follow the rules and regulations of the government to the letter. This involves relying on professionals such as gas engineers in order to ensure that your catering business is above board. So, what are your responsibilities as a catering business when it comes to gas safety? More importantly, how can you make sure that you employ the proper gas engineer to take care of your gas safety requirements?

What you should know about laws and regulations

Under UK law, you are required to have your gas installations done by an engineer who is Gas Safe Registered. Additionally, the gas engineer you choose should be qualified and registered in the particular field as well as product they will be working on. One example of this is hiring a gas engineer for a range cooker that uses LPG. The gas engineer should be precisely qualified in and registered for ‘Commercial catering: range cookers, LPG’. If a gas engineer is only qualified for range cookers running on natural gas in commercial kitchens, then their qualification will be specified as ‘Commercial catering: range cookers, NG’. You will be able to find these specific designations on the back of their identification card.

As the owner or manager of a food catering enterprise, you are responsible for making sure that your gas appliances are checked and serviced once a year (at least). You should also have a gas certificate which proves that your appliances have been checked and serviced. Keep in mind, though, that some gas engineers will only give you a certificate for a span of 6 months if they think that your gas appliances are high-risk due to constant use. If you are a mobile catering business, for instance, your equipment may be classified as high-risk due to having to connect and disconnect it regularly.

The qualifications of a gas engineer you should look for

Apart from the above-mentioned particularities, the gas engineer you choose should exhibit a range of qualifications suitable to your appliances and the type of business you have. The gas engineer you select should be qualified in commercial catering, specifically ‘Commercial catering: fat and pressure fryers, LPG or NG’ for instance, or ‘Commercial catering: fish and chip ranges, LPG or NG’. If you have draught burners, then the gas engineer should have this qualification (e.g. ‘Commercial catering: forced draught burners, LPG or NG’) on their card. The same is true if you have pressure or expansion boilers. Your gas engineer should be qualified for ‘Commercial catering: pressure and/or expansion boilers, LPG or NG’ just like the commercial catering engineers from Milgas.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *